PRINCE2® Practitioner (P2P) (Certification)
PRINCE2 Practitioner certification is suitable for anyone managing projects. This could be as part of a formal project management function or a role which involves project management as part of day-to-day work. The Practitioner certification aims to confirm that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding to apply and tailor the method in a range of different project environments and scenarios.
Attaining your Practitioner qualification is only one part of becoming a successful and effective project manager. It is important to ensure that yous upplement this with real-life experience working on projects, in addition to investing in personal professional development and wider training.
This certification is aimed at project managers, aspiring project managers and anyone who manages projects. It is also relevant to other key staff involved in the design, development and delivery of projects, including: Project Board members (e.g. Senior Responsible Owners), Team Managers (e.g. Product Delivery Managers), Project Assurance (e.g. Business Change Analysts), Project Support (e.g. Project and Programme Office personnel) and operational line managers/staff.
To take the PRINCE2 Practitioner examination you must provide proof of having passed one of the following:
- PRINCE2 Foundation (or higher) - this only applies to certificates obtained after 1 January 2009
- Project Management Qualification (PMQ)*
- Project Professional Qualification (PPQ)*
- Project Management Professional (PMP)**
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)**
- IPMA Level A® (Certified Projects Director)***
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)***
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)***
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate).***
Exams and recommended training
- Objective testing
- 68 questions per paper
- 38 marks or more required to pass (out of 68 available): approximately 55%
- Two-and-a-half hours’ (150 minutes) duration, no additional reading time
- Open book. Candidates are permitted to use the official printed hard copy of the Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2® 2017 Edition. The official manual may be annotated and tabulated but no sticky notes and loose leaf papers containing additional notes will be allowed.
The PRINCE2 Practitioner certification will expire after 3 years. In order to maintain your qualification and ensure there are no gaps in your Practitioner status, you can either retake the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam before the expiry date or maintain your certification through CPD points and a digital badge. If you choose to follow the CPD route you will need to purchase a subscription to MY PRINCE2 which costs £ 50.— + VAT per year.